Transactional Legal Counsel
Area of expertise:
As Legal Counsel on the North America transactions team, you will mainly partner with business line management, business development executives, contract managers and other functions on commercial matters, especially client deals. You will assess and guide a variety of business stakeholders on legal and commercial risks associated with transactions, their potential impact and suggested mitigating actions.
Key Role Responsibilities:
- Structure, draft, review and negotiate a broad range of IT consulting and system integrator related service contracts and related documents.
- Assist various business stakeholders in clarifying and balancing risk and reward in relation to the service offerings and individual client arrangements and mitigating risk to protect the company's assets and profitability.
- Guide business stakeholders on questions of contract performance.
- Escalate variances from contracting policy or unusual commercial and legal risks.
- Stay abreast of legal developments affecting Avanade, its clients, and industries and synthesize the information to incorporate it into Avanade’s transactional practices.
- Develop internal trainings, guidelines, toolkits and packaged knowledge on various legal and business issues.
- Develop subject matter expertise in one or more areas that benefit the Avanade Legal Group and/or our business.
- Promote and implement initiatives introduced by the Avanade Legal Group.
- Manage and ensure that corporate governance requirements are met, up to date and in compliance with local laws.
- Support the global compliance strategy and the related global compliance programs implementation, also working with the global compliance team.
- Manage issues and disputes, minimize potential for litigation and foster protection of Avanade’s reputation.
- Provide legal education and training for our employees.
- Handle other duties as may be assigned on a case-by-case basis.
You are a positive and committed person who is passionate about the law and technology. You are not afraid to speak your mind, and you enjoy a diverse, dynamic and creative environment. You have the ability to work in a team and manage competing priorities and adapt quickly to change. You are a people person with the ability to build relationships at all levels within the organization. You have a curious mindset and a strong interest in understanding the business and what drives performance.
In addition, you have:
- Degree in law. Strong academic credential. Attorney qualification.
- 1 to 5 years of experience as an attorney and with at least 1 years of experience drafting and negotiating contracts (working in a corporate legal department is a plus).
- Experience in the IT and/or consulting industry is desired.
- Deep knowledge of, or ability to understand, relevant laws (including contract, commercial, information technology, intellectual property, and data privacy) and also the business and work culture in a multinational company, including those pertaining to compliance.
- Demonstrates excellent judgment, ability to prioritize and make decisions.
- Well-refined business perspective.
- Ability to work within a hierarchy and corporate multinational matrix both live and virtually across time zones.
- Ability to work as a member of a team in an intense, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently with some supervision and to escalate issues in a timely manner for resolution.
- Disciplined, focused and dedicated to meeting high standards of excellence.
- Strong time management, prioritization and organizational skills with ability to meet deadlines with short time frames and work under pressure. Highly responsive and follows through on commitments.
- Experience in structuring, negotiating, drafting and reviewing complicated technology consulting arrangements.
- Strategic, proactive thinker.
- Positive, inclusive and collaborative style.
- Superior communication skills, particularly with respect to active listening to and integrating information from various sources quickly and communicating legal advice in a practical form in a business context.
- Up-to-date working knowledge of the Microsoft ecosystem and cloud computing are a plus.
- Fluent in English (reading, writing and speaking).
- Knowledge of French (reading, writing and speaking) would be a plus.
Share this job:
Avanade is the leading provider of innovative digital and cloud services, business solutions and design-led experiences on the Microsoft ecosystem. Our professionals bring bold, fresh thinking combined with technology, business and industry expertise to help make a genuine human impact on our clients, their customers and their employees. We are the power behind the Accenture Microsoft Business Group, helping companies to engage customers, empower employees, optimize operations and transform products, leveraging the Microsoft platform. Avanade has 50,000 professionals in 26 countries, bringing clients our best thinking through a collaborative culture that honors diversity and reflects the communities in which we operate. Majority owned by Accenture, Avanade was founded in 2000 by Accenture LLP and Microsoft Corporation. Learn more at www.avanade.com.
Avanade® Is An Equal Opportunity Employer. Avanade prohibits discrimination and harassment against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, marital status or any other protected status. Avanade is also committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.